Benefits of Massage
The healing systems of many cultures, including our own, use hands-on therapy to soothe aches and pains and facilitate the body's own healing powers. From infancy to old age, massage has been found too enhance general health and well being. Therapeutic massage has many applications and variations. Because it is used for health promotion as well as for its curative aspect, it can truthfully be said "if you have a body, you can benefit from therapeutic massage".
Enhances general health. Therapeutic massage can be an important component of your health maintenance or wellness plan. It helps keep the body and mind functioning optimally.
- Promotes well nourised and healthy skin
- improves circulation of blood and lymph
- Relaxes muscles and improves joint mobility
- Encourages general relaxation
- Improves immune system functioning
- Improves energy flow
Alleviates Problem Conditions
Therapeutic massage can help relieve certain common physical problems, and help bring the body back to optimal functioning
- General muscular tension and aches
- Tension headaches
- Muscular back pain
- Poor circulation
- Stress and anxiety
- Reduction of scar tissue or adhesions
- Repetitive use injuries
- Improved immunity
Supports Sports and Fitness
Therapeutic massage can be an important adjunct to a fitness or sports program, helping you achieve your performance goals with minimum injury and pain.
- Relieves tired and sore muscles
- Helps improve flexibility
- Relaxes tight muscles
- Speeds recovery from strenuous physical exertion
- reduces the anxiety of athletic competition
Relieves the Effects of Stress
Therapeutic massage helps balance the effects of stress in our lives, and avoid stress related disease and dysfunction.
- Triggers the relaxation response
- Relaxes tense muscles
- Reduces anxiety level
- Normalizes blocked energy flow
- Improves immune system functioning
- Restores a calm mind and feeling of well-being
Therapeutic massage can help in certain temporary or long-term situations which cause unique physical and mental challenges.
- For mothers-to-be during pregnancy
- For infants, especially premature and other developmentally challenged babies.
- For the disabled, especially those in wheelchairs and others with challenging orthopedic conditions
- For the elderly
- For those with Lymphedema
- Post and pre-surgery patients
Complements Other Health Care
Therapeutic massage is frequently used to enhance th beneficial effects of other types of healthcare.
- Physical and occupational therapy
Especially Beneficial For...
Care givers - for those who care for others, for example: mothers and fathers, teachers, recreation leaders, daycare workers, nurses and health care workers of all kinds.
Physical workers - for those who stress their bodies in their work or trade, for example: construction workers, domestic and custodial personnel, truck drivers, postal workers, plumbers, electricians, painters, professional athletes, dancers and musicians.
Desk workers - For those whose work involves long hours sitting at a desk using a computer, or talking on the phone; or at a bench assembling parts, fixing things, or creating works of art.
Travelers - for those spending long hours sitting in an automobile, train or airplane, for example: commuters, sales people, business travelers and vacationers.
Which Approach is Best for You?
There are several popular approaches or styles of therapeutic massage. Each one has it's own unique character, focus, techniques, and theroetical base. Some are more effective for certain goals than others. How do you know which one is best for you?
Classic European massage is very versatile and forms the basis of many other approaches. Swedish and Russian styles are most common and contain the familiar long strokes, kneading, vibration, friction, and percussion techniques. It can be applied effectively for general relaxation, general health enhancement, sports massage, injury recovery and rehabilitation, and many other purposes.
In addition to the basic approaches, other forms of therapeutic massage and body therapies are available. The therapists here at New Directions Massage use an eclectic approach and combine different forms of therapeutic massage in their sessions. View all of the types of massage using the link below!